Thursday 27 October 2011

Screen printing trials....

Screenprinting using peat 

I have been trying to use the skills that I learnt earlier in the summer, remembering each process and the correct sequence, learning to handle the large screen safely, washing correctly etc., there is a lot to learn.
There is a lovely atmosphere at the Edinburgh printmakers,  http://www.edinburgh-printmakers.co.uk/, everyone working away quietly, calm focused concentration. Everyone is extremely helpful and supportive. I find it hard to break off for lunch or tea, being so engrossed.
I am also trying to use peat itself for screenprinting which I have used before but only in my own studio, not with all the correct equipment which makes it a lot easier. I have mixed it to the correct texture and have been surprised how even delicate text and drawings can come out. Lovely clear colour with depth.

I was surprised how much I can get done once the screen is ready and was able to organise a visit to the library and herbarium meeting Dr.David Long at the Royal Bottanic Gardens Edinburgh, http://www.rbge.org.uk/ which was extremely interesting. Looking at the samples of Sphagnum skyense in the herbarium and finding out more about this sphagna.


Isotype of Sphagna skyense at the herbarium

No comments:

Post a Comment